MUDDLED




I entered the gate of the market, and started towards my customer's shop to pick up the dress I had told her to make for me. It was Saturday evening, and I planned to wear the dress to church on Sunday.
As I walked, I began to feel eyes on me, and a few people whispering, but I naturally ignored, since I wasn't the only one in the market. why would they be talking about me? I thought to myself.
As I walked deeper into the market, I began to feel really uncomfortable, and as I glanced around, I found a lot of people staring intently at me.
I began to walk faster, trying to get to my customer's shop fast enough. Just as I was about to reach the shop, I felt something cold hit me on the leg hard. I turned sharply to look at it, it was an overripe tomato, I watched in horror as it slid down my legs, and as I raised my head to look for who had thrown tomato at me, another one hit me square in the face. I cried out, as I felt it sting my eyes.
what's going on ? I thought.
Just then, I began to hear shouts of ashawo!!! Olosho!!! around me. I was confused, what is this, what have I done?

 Two guys walked up to where I was standing trying to wipe the tomato smear off my face, and one of them grabbed me harshly by the hand.
'you no go comot for here before they pour you pepper water?' the other guy stood glaring at me.
' But what did I do?' I asked, my voice shaking as I tried not to cry.
' you no see wetin you wear? why you come market dress like say you be ashawo" The guy said, still grabbing my hand. I yanked my hand away from him. Then I looked down at my outfit, I was wearing a short short and crop top. So I was just stepping out to pick up something, did I have to wear a bubu or wear a suit?
All around me, people started to join the chant and before I knew it, more spoiled food was landing on my body. I turned around and began to run back, towards the gate, when a woman brought a wrapper to me.
' take my dear, tie this wrapper, but make you no dey dress like this again, na temptation you dey give all this boys for market'
That was it, I took the wrapper from her and flung it on the ground. Why did i have to be treated like that because of what I was wearing. Why did I have to be treated like a criminal just because some young men thought like perverts.
I guess the only reason I was shamed that day was because I am a woman in a world claimed by men.




Comments